Thursday, June 21, 2007

NXTcomm and IMS

By Tsahi Levent-Levi

This week I had a business trip. As part of my day job, I joined a panel discussing the IPTV experience at NXTcomm. While there, I had the time to walk around the show floor and see what companies are doing.

I can definitely say that this year, the main theme of NXTcomm is IPTV.

The second coolest acronym in the show was IMS.

First question out there, is what does IPTV has to do with IMS? Probably everything and nothing at the same time… But I’ll be leaving this one to a future post sometime.

What I really want to discuss here is still IMS.

Walking the floor and talking to companies in NXTcomm means you are meeting a lot of sales people from different companies. So IMS is what I do here, and I decided to go check what these people know of the IMS offering of their companies (you know – it’s not that easy).

Here’s a short roundup of the answers I got:

  • “It’s essentially SIP”
  • “We’re doing SIP, connecting it with Alcatel-Lucent’s thing, and we support IMS this way”
  • “We’re IMS-ready” (heard that one before)

So nobody really knows what IMS exactly is there and don’t know how to chew it. Hopefully, this will change with time… especially when they all have IMS written all over their booth…

Technorati Tags: , , , ,

No comments: